AU wishes Somali muslims happy Eid al-Adha
Sunday August 11, 2019
The African Union Mission in Somalia sends its warmest wishes to the people of Somalia, and to all Muslims around the world, who are celebrating the special day of Eid al-Adha.
“Today, we are reminded of the honour and commitment of the Prophet Ibrahim who was willing to sacrifice his son out of obedience to Allah, the Almighty,” the statement reads in part. “It is in this spirit that our Somali brothers will slaughter animals and share the meat with their neighbours, with the less fortunate and with those in need.”
This act is a testament to the commitment, love and shared nationhood of the people of Somalia.
As we celebrate this happy occasion, let us also keep in our thoughts and prayers our brothers and sisters who will be spending this important day in fear and insecurity. On this Eid al-Adha, we join them as they confidently strive to build a better, brighter and safer Somalia.
We also pray for the safe return of our brothers and sisters from Somalia who travelled to Mecca for the remarkable Hajj journey of spiritual renewal.
May this spirit of sharing, compassion, togetherness and generosity cement our resolve to forge ahead together.
- Elders in Jubbaland petition UN over political deadlock ahead of state polls – HOL
- Chinese built railway praised for awvfacilitating transportation, boosting Ethiopia’s trade – Xinhua
- How schools are kept afloat in Somaliland – The Conversation
- Muslims in Kenya flock mosques to mark Idd-ul-Adha – Daily Nation
- Uhuru lobbies for Kenya to get UN Security Council seat – Daily Nation
- Thousands of demonstrators demand free elections in Moscow’s biggest protest in years – Reuters
- Yemen’s pro-government coalition fractures as separatists grab control in Aden – Reuters
- Push in US to stop Kenya’s bid for UN sanctions on Shabaab – The East African
- Countries fail to honour Uganda refugee funds pledges – The Eastafrican
- Seychelles, Somaliland row over home jail deal – The Eastafrican
- Muslims gather in Saudi Arabia for final stage of annual haj pilgrimage – Reuters
- Somali President wishes Muslims all over the world a happy Eid Al-Adha – HOL