Helicopter Crashes on Roof of Midtown Manhattan Building
Monday June 10, 2019
A helicopter crashed onto the rooftop of a building in Midtown Manhattan on Monday afternoon.
A fire broke out on the roof of 787 Seventh Avenue at 51st Street at 1:43 p.m., officials said.
Only one person was aboard the aircraft, the pilot, who was reported to have been killed, according to a senior city official.
A police official characterized the incident as a “hard landing.’’
The Fire Department said it was deploying over 100 emergency workers to the scene.
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who was at the scene, said there was no indication of terrorism. He said the helicopter seemed to have made an emergency landing.
Mr. Cuomo acknowledged that the initial reports of the accident unsettled New Yorkers. “If you’re a New Yorker, you have a level of PTSD, right, from 9/11,’’ Mr. Cuomo said. “I remember that morning all too well.”
- 40 Al-Shabaab militants cross to Kenya from Somalia— NIS – Hivisasa
- AU mission vows to continue with stabilization efforts in Somalia – Xinhua
- Search for education eludes children in Dadaab – The Star
- Saudi King Salman has ordered to give Rohingya Muslims free Citizenship. – Kashmir Pen
- Few Talked About Race at This School. Then a Student Posted a Racist Slur. – New York Times
- New prostate cancer test will give men ‘peace of mind’ that they will never develop the disease, scientists say – Telegraph
- Iran unveils new advanced missile defense system it says can destroy enemy jets – Timesofisrael
- AU pledges continued AMISOM support to Somalia – AMISOM
- African invitees to women’s rights conference denied visas by Ottawa without explanation – Globe and Mail
- Qatari official accuses Saudis of blackmail and destabilising the region – The Guardian
- Somalia steps up fight to eradicate polio beginning this month – Theeastafrican