No reprieve for Eastleigh as Kenya extends lockdown by two weeks
Wednesday May 20, 2020
NAIROBI (HOL) – Residents of Nairobi’s Somali dominated estate, Eastleigh will still have to contend with more time under lockdown following the government’s extension of the cessation of movement restrictions to June.
Health Minister Mutahi Kagwe said during a COVID-19 daily briefing Wednesday the cessation of movement ordered by President Uhuru Kenyatta early this month will be extended until June 6.
The lockdown which also affects the Old Town suburb in the coastal city of Mogadishu came following a drastic spike of COVID-19 infections. Over 100 cases have since been recorded in Nairobi’s Eastleigh estate.
The restrictions bar movement into and out of the two areas.
The government earlier in the week extended the dusk to dawn curfew until June 6 similar to cessation of movement into and out of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi counties.
Meanwhile Kenya announced 66 new cases Wednesday among them two foreigners bringing the national tally to 1,029 cases since corona virus arrived in the country March 13.
- Somalia says will abide by ICJ maritime case delay – HOL
- Rep. Ilhan Omar describes a bruising life in new memoir – Star Tribune
- Coronavirus: One hospital for 15 million in ‘worst prepared’ country in the world – Alarabiya
- Djibouti’s COVID-19 cases surge to 1,518 as 117 new cases confirmed – Xinhua
- UAE’s Etihad makes first known flight to Israel – Al Jazeera
- National Bank of Ethiopia Limits Cash Withdrawals for Individuals, Businesses – Ezega
- Djibouti’s Groupe RTD make international ‘Dancing Devils’ album debut – Rfi
- Qatar Using Medical Aid To Patch Shaky Relationship With Somaliland – EABWNEWS
- Somalia’s COVID-19 cases soar to 1,502 after 47 tested positive – Xinhua