North London FC winners of the 2017 Toronto SomaliWeek Soccer Tournament
Monday July 17, 2017
TORONTO (HOL) – The Northern London FC of London, UK were crowned winners of the 2017 SomaliWeek Soccer Tournament held at Centennial Park Stadium in Toronto, Canada
Northern London FC defeated Minnesota’s MidnimoTC on penalty shoot-out after match is 1:1 drawn for the regulation time
More than 12 teams from Canada, USA and UK participated the tournament namely Banadir FC of Toronto, Ottawa FC, Hilaac FC of Toronto, Midnimo of Minnesota FC, North London, Seif of Toronto, Gala Canada of Toronto, Dixon FC and Kichnear FC
The tournament which is put on annually by the Toronto Development Association of Youth (TODAY) was held at Centennial Park Stadium, Etobicoke, Toronto.
Several former Somali soccer legends attended at the closing ceremony of the event
Somali Week’ was first held in Toronto back in the early 90’s by a group of Somali sportsmen who fled the civil war, including Somali soccer players Mukhtar Ute, Antar Jenyo and many others.
- The African passport is a year old: Has the vibe died since the Kigali launch? – Africa News
- U.S. Treasury allows full resumption of financial transactions with Sudan: minister – Sudan Tribune
- Centre to reduce maternal, newborn deaths in Mandera – Thestar
- Kenya tops world’s spam scam targets – Daily Nation
- Disgraceful failure to respond to east Africa hunger crisis – Irishtimes
- UAE orchestrated hacking of Qatari government sites, sparking regional upheaval, according to U.S. intelligence officials – Washingtonpost
- Qatar 2022: Fake news story claims Arab nations told Fifa they will boycott World Cup – BBC