Police Commissioner’s Death created tension in Beled Weyn
Tuesday June 11, 2019
BELED WEYNE (HOL) – Hiraan region police Commissioner has been killed and his deputy was reportedly injured following gun battle in the outskirts of Beledweyne on Tuesday.
Slain police Commissioner, Major Mohamed Maow Halane was killed at Kalabeyr locality near Beledweyne town after Somali police forces clashed with militias loyal to the former Hiraan governor, Yussuf Ahmed Hagar (Dabageed)
Hirshabelle president Mohamed Abdi Ware replaced Mr. Dabageed with Ali Mohamed Arale as the new governor of Hiiraan. Speaking to the reporters in Beled Weyn, Mr Hagar refused to accept the decision of Hirshabelle president. “I became the governor of Hiiraan region with the blessing of the Federal Government of Somalia and will stay in power and there is no reason to stepdown at the moment” Said Mr. Dabageed
The death of the police commissioner created a tension in Beled Weyn as the relatives of deceased demand the arrest of Mr. Dabageed and brought him to justice.
High delegation from the Somali government is expected to arrive tomorrow to help resolve the problem.
- Kenya closes border with Somalia in Lamu over security concerns – Daily Nation
- Djibouti denies presence of Iran warships in its territorial waters – Middle East Monitor
- UN allocates 45 mln USD to stave off famine risks in Horn of Africa – Xinhua
- Five injured in clashes over grazing fields in Mandera – Daily Nation
- Sudanese troops raped protesters at sit-in, doctors report – The Guardian
- A rebounding Somalia is ready to welcome back those who left, ambassador says – Star Tribune
- Raptors lose nail-biter Game 5 to Warriors, sending NBA Finals back to Oakland – Globe and Mail
- 3 al-Shabab militants killed in southern Somalia – Xinhua