Security forces retake Somali villages from al-Shabaab
Monday February 12, 2018
African Union’s peacekeeping mission AMISOM join hands with Somali forces to regain territory from al-Shabaab
Security forces backed by African Union’s peacekeeping mission AMISOM on Monday captured villages from al-Shabaab armed group during an operation in Lower Shabeelle region, according to a regional deputy governor.
The villages of Awdhigle and Mubarak in Lower Shabeelle region were cleared of al Shabaab during the operation, Lower Shabeelle Deputy Governor Abdifitah Hajji Abdulle said.
The troops also cleared Darasalam and Malable neighborhoods in Lower Shabeelle province.
“With the help of AMISOM, we have captured four main areas; the operation is still ongoing; we have destroyed security checkpoints, al-Shabaab’s wing Radio now is off air and they are running away from the area,” Abdulle added.
The deputy governor also said only al-Shabaab targets were being destroyed and “utmost care” was being taken to avoid harm to civilians.
- Ottawa police identify Northview Road homicide victim as Egal Daud – cbc
- Local groups fear Muslims in Edmonton under-reporting hate incidents – CBC
- Envoy hears Somalis’ SA experience – africanindependent
- Simba Back in CAF Action, Clash With Djibouti Outfit – The Citizen
- Ismail Rage, disabled by childhood polio, employed by a Mogadishu bank – Radio Ergo
- IGAD launches National Consultations on Free Movement of Persons in Mogadiahu – HOL
- Djibouti’s booming nightlife scene — fueled by foreign militaries – OZY
- Amman hosts meeting to counter Daesh financing – Jordan Times
- Ethnic Violence in Ethiopia Stoked by Social Media from U.S. – IPS
- Ethiopia Opens Three-Day Talks With Somali Rebels – VOA
- Canada: Abdi to get emergency hearing – thechronicleherald