Somali military nabs senior al-Shabaab militant
Wednesday March 25, 2020
Somalia’s elite forces captured a senior al-Shabaab militant in the Lower Shabelle region, the Information Ministry said Tuesday.
“The elite 1st Danab Advanced Infantry Battalion, conducted an operation that resulted in the capture of a high-profile senior al-Shabaab member in the vicinity of Wanlaweyn. This operation was a massive win for the Federal Government of Somalia, the Federal Member States, and the Somali Security Force,” according to a statement.
The militant was identified as Ibrahim Mohamed Roble who operated in the region.
U.S. African Command also confirmed the operation and said: “This successful operation, led by our Somali partners, demonstrates progress.”
Wanlaweyn, is located 90 kilometers (55 miles) southwest of the capital of Mogadishu.
The Somali military on Sunday arrested Somali-based the al-Qaeda affiliated group intelligence chief in Lower Shabelle.
Meanwhile, on Monday, at least seven soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb blast that targeted a military vehicle near the newly liberated town of Janaale, according to a local official who spoke to Anadolu Agency.
Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Sudan defence minister dies of heart attack in South Sudan – Al-Jazeera
- Somalis Over-Represented Among Coronavirus Victims in Stockholm, as COVID-19 Reaches Blighted Areas – Sputnik News
- Boost for Somalia as UK, EU offsets $123m arrears to AfDB – HOL
- High-Profile Jailbreak Undermines Somalia’s Fight for Justice – HRW
- Djibouti Intensifies Awareness-raising Efforts Against FGM – Ips
- Halima Aden teams up with UNICEF on home-schooling videos – Arab News
- Authorities in Mozambique find 64 migrants dead in truck – AP
- Latest Italian coronavirus death toll dashes hopes worst is over – Aljazeera