U.S. Support for Somalia Resiliency and Overcoming Humanitarian Crises
US Mission to Somalia
Monday April 15, 2019
MOGADISHU – US Ambassador to Somalia Donald Y. Yamamoto held a roundtable discussion with organizations that work with the people and government of Somalia to overcome humanitarian crises. Joining Ambassador Yamamoto were representatives from: UN World Food Program, UN Food and Agriculture Organization, UNICEF, Mercy Corps, International Medical Corps, UNHCR, and IOM. Each expressed commitment to promoting resilience in Somali communities so that future humanitarian crises can be averted.
The United States is the single largest donor responding to Somalia humanitarian and protection crises, providing more than $433 million in humanitarian assistance in Fiscal Year 2018. We connect with communities and other partners to provide emergency food assistance, safe drinking water, and shelter; address acute malnutrition; and respond to urgent health needs, including cholera and measles outbreaks. We also provide assistance for repatriation and reintegration for Somali nationals who seek to return home to Somalia.
The United States remains concerned about the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Somalia resulting from cycles of drought and floods, as well as protracted conflict. Approximately 4.2 million people still need humanitarian assistance, and 2.6 million people—or roughly one in five—are internally displaced.
For 2019, the United States prioritizes emergency response needs for Somalia and urges other donors and organizations to sustain assistance to the most vulnerable this year. We encourage contributions from donors to ensure Somalia continues to improve humanitarian conditions and build resilience.
- Sudan crisis: Military council arrests former government members – BBC
- Assange tried to create a ‘centre for spying’ inside the Ecuadorian embassy, says nation’s president – The Telegraph
- South Africa is not overrun by immigrants – experts – IOL
- Cuba working to rescue 2 doctors abducted in Kenya: president – Xinhua
- The man behind Somalia’s only free ambulance service – BBC
- ‘Disgusting, dangerous’: Trump slammed over 9/11 Ilhan Omar tweet – Al Jazeera