Al-Shabaab raid military base in Mudug, deaths reported
Monday November 30, 2020
MOGADISHU (HOL) – Al-Shabaab militants Monday raided a military base in Mudug region with initial reports indicating heavy casualties on the military.
Military sources and people familiar with the developments told HOL the militants stormed the base in Baa’dwayne located in Hobyo district in Mudug in the early hours of Monday.
According to the sources which sought anonymity, the militants drove in an explosives laden vehicle into the camp and several fighters stormed in leading to a lengthy fight.
The military base commander is said to have called for reinforcements but had not arrived at 1 pm local time when the militants left the camp. Several soldiers were killed, a source said but there was yet any official confirmation.
Clan militias from Sa’ad sub clan in Dhusamareb which is located close to 70 kilometers away were reportedly mobilizing to provide reinforcements.
Al-Shabaab claimed in its affiliate media that it carted away four vehicles from the camp. Reports said two of the vehicles were destroyed a few kilometers from the base.
- Clan militia join ‘separatist’ General Hud faction in Hiiraan region – HOL
- Leader of Tigray’s forces tells Ethiopia PM to ‘stop the madness’ – Al-Jazeera
- Kenya rebuffs expulsion of ambassador by Somalia, terms it ‘unwarranted’ – HOL
- Kenya regrets Somalia decision to expel envoy – PS Macharia – The Star
- Canada extends travel restrictions for those entering the country – CP
- Lewiston’s Bilal Hersi earns starting spot on Somali under-20 national soccer team – Sun Journal
- Somalia expels Kenyan ambassador over ‘interference’ of elections process – HOL
- Somali parasitic twin undergoes surgery in Turkey – AA
- Garissa University Terror Convict Commits Suicide In Kamiti Prison – Capital FM