Two injured in hand grenade attack on election officials in Sool region
Tuesday January 12, 2021
LAS-ANOD (HOL) – Assailants whose identity was not immediately established hurled hand grenades at electoral officials in Las-Anod Tuesday afternoon injuring two people.
HOL correspondent in Las-Anod which is the administrative capital of Sool region reports that the assailants hurled the grenades at the officials who were conducting voter registration.
There was no immediate comment from authorities.
The incident happened barely a day after Puntland warned against voter registration by Somaliland officials in Dhahar district in Sanaag region.
The registration in various regions and territories claimed by Somaliland kicked off two days ago as the breakaway region prepares for parliamentary and local government elections early this year.
Puntland and Somaliland both lay claim to Sanaag and Sool regions.
- Ugandan opposition presidential candidate Bobi Wine says military raided his home – Reuters
- Somali PM lauds role of media, urges more vigilance – HOL
- Somaliland President sends strong rebuke to Somali gov’t and opposition figures – HOL
- Uganda: 35 years under President Yoweri Museveni – AFP
- UN chief Antonio Guterres declares he will seek second term – AP
- Landmine explosion kills 2 in Somali capital – Anadolu Agency
- QRCS implements two general surgery campaigns in Somalia – The Peninsula Qatar
- Somali PM reserves 30% of parliament seats for women in upcoming poll – Reuters